Friday 4 July 2014

I CANT KISS A DUDE OR LADY IN AN INTIMATE WAY NOT SANCTIONED BY MY WIFE!


“The first time I watched Lekki Wives, I didn’t quite like the movie, perhaps due to the fact that I wasn’t patient enough to understand the message the producer was trying to pass across until Adelaja Alugbin, a friend asked me to get hold of the season 2 maybe by then, I would understand the movie properly. Reluctantly, I did and I must confess that I started falling in love with what I was watching as the message became clearer which made me go back to watch season one. But I got completely swept off my feet watching Alex Adapoyi who starred as Prince in the movie display calmness, professionalism and finesse in his role. Friends, Alex Adapoyi was totally natural!!! I screamed, OHMAIGOD, who the hell is this guy? I couldn’t just resist it so I hit the internet in search of this cool but dangerous Prince of a guy for an interview and he graciously obliged me. Please, enjoy this piece as I unravel the mystery behind Prince of Lekki Wives.”


RWN: Let us start from your latest work which is the Lekki wives. You played the role of Prince, a middle aged rich drug baron with some sort of weird sexual cravings. Please tell us, who is Prince and who is Alex? Is there any difference between the two?



ALEX: Yes, a lot of difference. Prince is just the movie character but that’s not who Alex is. Some people say you actually act out who you really are but that’s not entirely true. An actor should be able to bring out any character the producer wants him to portray. Alex is a humble guy, quiet and loves playing his musical instrument and God fearing.
 
RWN: How did you get the role?
ALEX: I was introduced to the producer by Adaora Uko (Miranda) and I went for the auditioning and was lucky to be selected.
RWN: Okay, like you have known Miranda before right?
ALEX: No, she got my contact through my wife’s friend Chioma okoye, a movie producer.
RWN: Have you got any formal training in acting?
ALEX: No, but as a child, I was all the character in a movie (…laughs) trying to act all I could about different characters I came across in movies I watched as a child.
RWN: The impression a lot of us have got about your industry is that it’s the survival of the fittest. I want to ask, how easy was it for you to get to this point in your acting career?
ALEX:  Acting is a gift to some people and to some, it’s something they have to study to acquire but I am lucky to have the gift and that God has made it very easy for me. I can say I have never had any problem getting any part and I thank God for that grace
RWN: Okay, let’s get a bit personal. How was your growing up like?
ALEX: As a child I wasn’t an outgoing kid, surrounded at home with brothers, sister and cousins who love watching cartoons. We were always in front of the television; never missing a programme and we love animals. So life was more of an indoor thing, though there was the occasional football times with the community kids.
RWN: What's your philosophy in life?
ALEX: it's too expensive to be poor.
RWN: And your watchword?
ALEX: Don’t be afraid.
RWN: Can you share with us one of the greatest challenges you have encountered in life and how you overcame?
ALEX: That was in 2010 when I lost millions in business and wanted to kill myself. My wife saw me through it all, we prayed fervently and the grace of God took over the situation. With God’s intervention, I got inspiration on how to multiply the little I had left.
RWN: And your greatest moment or event?
ALEX: Looking back now I will say my greatest moment in life was when I married my wife, marrying her changed my whole life and made me into a better man but not prince o…(laughs).
RWN: How do you relax?
ALEX: ….ahhh thought you'd never ask! I love music, in fact I play several musical instruments...piano, bass guitar, lead guitar, acoustic finger style guitar just to name a few. I assigned a little part of the house loaned to me by my madam, for my equipments, so whenever I want to relax I just plug in and play anyone of them. Music to me is a spirit and therefore must be given a lot of attention. My greatest ideas have come to me during these periods of relaxation with either my guitars or the piano.
RWN: I went through some of your collections on Facebook and discovered in one of the pictures you were standing on the pulpit performing a somewhat spiritual duty. Would you like to share with us your relationship with God?
ALEX: Well, like I said earlier, marrying my wife was one of the best decisions I ever made. She led me to God when all I wanted to do was give up and probably die. We are pretty serious about spiritual things, in fact most times I am in church praying with my wife when we have the chance...we have learnt that the spiritual controls the physical and we have learnt to plug in. I would say I think about God maybe 20hrs everyday because everything I am today, He made it possible. The particular picture you referred to was when we had men’s day in church and I was chosen to anchor the testimony session.
RWN: Wow… do you mean one can have his or her head bent on this type of career and still have a good relationship with God? The two seem contradictory!
ALEX: It’s very possible and quite easy really. Your life style in the movies is not really you, you are only trying to tell a story and be as convincing as possible which shouldn’t stop you from worshiping God in truth. I know it’s easy to get carried away somewhat but any level headed person should be disciplined in mind and spirit to separate the movie personality from the real you.
RWN: Do you think it is possible for celebrities to avoid scandals? If so, what are your suggestions?
ALEX: Yes, it is possible for celebrities to avoid scandals, depending on how matured they are. One of the ways is to unnecessary publicity. I try as much as possible to respect my wife in every way by keeping away from ladies whose sole aim is to get me into bed, I don’t  go out after 6pm when I get back from work except maybe when I am with the missus. If I must be with people, I gather a few friends either in my house or at a restaurant and have fun. However, most of these so called scandals are actually publicity stunts on the part of the celebrities to get traffic to either their twitter page or the like and I think that’s rubbish, even if you are single, your body is God's temple and that’s not an excuse. I heard Denzel Washington asks for his pastor’s permission before taking on certain roles, now, that’s a guy you will never hear any negative stuff about and he still gets the best roles in big movies! So you must not sleep about or take drugs or participate in bizarre stuff to get known.
RWN: Looking at the way some romantic scenes are being delivered, one wonders if it's really a movie. How do you handle and deliver professionally all those romantic scenes? Any side effect after the shooting?
ALEX: ….(Laughs), most times my wife is present at my shootings so I really don’t have any problem there, but just to help the young ones out there, you are trying to pass a message across and that’s why you are an actor. You are being paid to pass that message across as convincingly as is humanly possible so that should be your focus. There are bound to be side effects if you don’t have a matured mind; there's no how you will kiss someone intimately and afterwards feel no connection, movie or no movie and that’s why most times you see actors dating each other during or after a movie but if you know what you are after, that won’t happen. You just go in there, play your role and get out but if you feel the role you have been given goes against what you believe in, then please don’t be afraid to speak out.
RWN: Just like some doctors may decline having abortion for some women if it’s not for health reasons or some auditors would decline to influence their reports; is there any script Alex would decline for any reason?
ALEX: Yes, there are certain scripts I would decline. For example, I can’t be nude in any movie, kiss a dude or lady in an intimate way not sanctioned by my wife.
RWN: Now I believe this has to do about your marriage. Does that mean your wife vets and approves your script before you give in to the producer?
ALEX: Yes my wife looks into scripts with me, we discuss and we agree which is another way I demonstrate my respect for her. Besides, I have little nephews and nieces and I don't want them looking at me with a different light.
RWN: How do you deal with the opposite sex seeing you are a cynosure of most ladies' eyes?
ALEX: Aahhh this your question ehn! Well I really love my wife and that has helped me a great deal in dealing with the opposite sex. Being nice and charming doesn’t mean you have to be loose. When ladies come up to me and I see that their intentions are not noble, I tend to switch subjects to stories about my wife and that discourages them a lot (laughs). Some come and say “Alex your eyes are sexy and seductive”. I usually just smile, say thank you and try to move away. I won’t be rude in anyway because everyone loves compliments but my actions will tell you to leave it there. Generally I don’t put myself in situations that will make me question my beliefs or betray my wife in anyway. Like I mentioned earlier, I don’t go to night clubs, if I need to hang out, I do that with my wife or my brother. Don’t get me wrong, Toyin, I love women; I had over 300 girlfriends before I got married. I am just trying to be a good Christian and a sweet husband
RWN: What's your advice for the youths?
ALEX: Well it’s very difficult as a youngster to stay focused, it takes God's grace to find your gift and stay on it. My advice to the youths is to find their centers quickly, focus on role models who have no scandal history, don’t be pushed into anything because you are afraid your friends will say you are not cool or you want to feel among. Many youngsters have taken their own lives because of guilt and that’s what the devil is using these days to fight the youth.
RWN: Any particular reason why you think it’s difficult for youngsters to stay focused?
ALEX: Believe it or not, I was young once and there were actions I took of which I regret to date and wish I could turn back the hands of time...my focus was women and I followed it to the core.
RWN: Is it only women that could distract the youths?
ALEX: Not only women. For some drugs, others cultism etc. I was lucky, so many of my friends who fell by the way side died as a result of aids, some to cultism in the name of protection.
RWN: How did you meet your wife?
ALEX: We grew up in the same community in Benue State and our families knew one another. She was the only girl I think who said NO to me as a young man. I asked her out for like 12 years before she agreed but I had great stamina and wouldn’t take no for an answer.
RWN: 12 solid years? Why? 
ALEX: Well after 12yrs I gave up. We just found each other again; guess it was God's doing.
RWN: Let us go back to Lekki Wives. What do you think the film is out to challenge?
ALEX: I know for a fact that there are so many homes under attack by the devil and some of them go through worse things than you have seen in Lekki wives. These acts are not Godly and that’s what the maker of that movie wants everyone to know.
RWN:  What do you think is the major bane of marriages today?
ALEX:  Well, from my experience as a married man, I would say sex and lack of communication
RWN: So what more should we expect from Alex in the nearest future?
ALEX: Would have loved to say expect more block buster movies and all that but really everything is in God’s hands. Apart from being an actor, I am also a very keen business man and who knows where God might be leading me to in the next 2 months. Secretly, I see myself climbing to greater heights and starring beside movie greats like RMD, Robert Deniro..lol
 
(C) rwnomoreloss
 

No comments: