Wednesday 18 July 2012

My Husband Knew He Wasn’t Marrying An Everyday Woman


Helen Paul a.k.a. Tatafo

She is a female comedian, singer, an actress, a dancer, compere and a journalist, though best known as a stand-up comedian. Her style is peculiar and spontaneous coupled with her petite stature and childlike voice range makes her stand out. She is a graduate of Theatre Arts from the University of Lagos. As a kid, her mother and grandmother who are disciplinarians in Lagos raised her. Under their tutelage, she grew to develop the entertainer in her as she was used to sneaking out to go and entertain small groups of peers, neighbours and friends.
Please join me to enjoy another tell-it-all interview with Helen Paul, a.k.a. Tatafo.

RWN: It’s a bit unfamiliar to see women, especially a married one like you with consistency in pattern and drive in the comedy industry. Please tell us your story.
HP: Thank you for the compliments. However, I’m still on a journey, I’m not there yet.
I was born and raised in Lagos, largely by my mother and grandmother. I started to entertain small groups of my peers in the neighborhood at an early stage. Though my grandmother and mother were and are still disciplinarians, I used to slip through their presumably watertight security to play with neighbors. I discovered the baby voice during that period, although I was to put it to good use much later. Probably due to the affinity I have for babies, I discovered that I could mimic them easily – from the way they cry, to the way they talk and laugh and what not. I continued to entertain folks this way until I got my first professional exposure on stage at an event.
Before then however, I worked in different offices and capacities. I worked as a receptionist at Eko Reel Mix Studios, as an assistant producer at Yotomi Television, etc. It was during my stint at Eko Reel Mix that I met artistes such as Infinity and P-Square, for whom I later recorded backup vocals. My career journey took me to Continental Broadcasting Service, owners of Radio and Television Continental, where I work until date as a presenter. I started to present a radio programme called “Wetin Dey” with Niyi Ojemakinde and Uju. “Wetin Dey” can be described as a commentary programme, with the way it comments on societal issues, though in a comic manner. Then Mr Wale Popopo and Iya Jogbo came on board and now, when you tune in to the programme, you’ll have a feel of a radio drama, due to how we interact, with me playing “Tatafo”, a name that was given to me by Matthew, also a colleague at Continental Broadcasting Service then.
Like I said earlier, I had the opportunity to perform at an event some years back and that was my first professional exposure. It was in 2005, and it was impromptu, as the comedian billed to perform did not show up. I thank God for the journey ever since.

RWN: You just mentioned your first professional experience. Which show was that and how did it go? Was that the show that blew you up in the industry?
HP: It was a concert that took place in the University of Lagos. It went well and even though I cannot say that it blew me up into the industry, it was my first time on stage professionally and I got some contacts as well as other invitations after my performance.

RWN: You have carved out a niche for yourself in the industry particularly in the way you deliver on stage. Would one be right to say you are specifically tailored to entertain the kids alone?
HP: Not at all. As an entertainer and a businessperson, I cannot limit my audience to a particular set of people. You must have a message that cuts across. One thing I never forget to do is receive feedback from people, as to my performances and I keep receiving same, both from adults and younger ones alike; in the corporate world and otherwise, as to how much they appreciate my performances. In fact, Mr Dele Alake, a wonderful father and mentor, was the first to discover me at Continental Broadcasting Service. He was the Director-General then.

RWN: This is the first time I will be hearing a comedian talking about having a message. People just think it's all about cracking jokes and nothing more. Please what message do you seek to pass across while delivering?
HP: In general, I seek to elicit laughter from people – on or off stage. However, most times when I’m on stage, I tend to drop hints on discovering, believing in and being oneself, being optimistic in any situation, etc. It’s generally a message of hope and faith, I chip in some personal stories just to let people know that if I could achieve, they also can.

RWN: What are some of the challenges you faced and still facing in your career?
HP: Nothing notable really. I’m a chronic optimist – maybe that’s why others may see a stumbling block and all I see is a stepping stone. Also, I tend to see the light side of every issue. I laugh at situations, people, even myself. Maybe the only challenge is keeping up with numerous events/shows.

RWN: Let’s get more personal; who is Helen Paul really?
HP: Hmn, that’s a million-dollar question, but I’ll try to answer as best as I can (laughs). She is assumed by many to be always playful, outgoing and extroverted. At home, I love privacy, peace and tranquility. Also, I can just generally chill, to read a book, pray, meditate, write, I write plays and other literary works. People say I’m sanguine and I agree, but I can be choleric too.
Furthermore, I love to set goals and follow them aggressively to completion. I love music and the Arts in general. I hardly attend parties which could be many people’s consternation as I’m largely too busy to do that. I also cherish Academics a lot – this was instilled in me by the disciplinarian duo of my mother and grandmother.
Well, so far so good. I’ll say I’m generally a happy and blessed person, favoured by God. Most importantly, I don’t joke with my God. He’s my all.

RWN: You have talked about God in nothing less than 5 places during the course of this interview. This could signify how sold-out you are to God. Kindly tell us your experience with him and the impact he is making in your career. Where do you worship?
HP: God is my source. Yorubas have a saying that “odo ti o ba gbagbe orisun e, dandan ni ko gbe”, meaning that “a river that forgets its source will dry up”. All my gifts, talents and inspiration come from Him. There are things that have happened to me in life and when I consider how they happened, I know it just has to be God behind it all. I am not the only funny or talented person on earth but for God to put me out there, He has a purpose for my life.
My experience with God has been wonderful. I talk to Him and I know He listens. I enter into covenants with Him, He always keeps His part and I always endeavour to keep mine. Even when at times I’m unfaithful, He remains faithful. I worship at Kingsword International Ministries.

RWN: To the best of my knowledge, there is no course yet in any of our higher institutions called 'Comediology' where one could have thought you went to study for this career (laughter o!) so kindly tell us more about your educational background.
HP: At elementary and high school levels, I attended Onayade Community Primary School, Bejide Memorial College, and Mainland High School. I am a graduate of Creative Arts from the University of Lagos. I also have certificates from Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria and the School of Media and Communications of the Pan-African University. I am currently undergoing my masters in Theatre Arts at the University of Lagos.

      RWN: Where, how and when do you get inspiration to deliver?
HP: Everything comes from my quiet and solitary times with God. I’m generally inspired by God, babies and situations around me, plus my style which is mostly freestyle or on the spur of the moment. I don’t usually settle down to write my jokes. I do stuff impromptu; all depends on what I observe around me.

RWN: Would you still have loved to go on with comedy if the hands of the clock were to be turned?
HP: Yes, definitely. It gives me a feeling of accomplishment to see people laugh away their sorrows. Comedy is not just about making people laugh, but ministering to people, catering for their needs, it’s a ministry. The money I get from it, as I always say, is “chop money” (laughs).

RWN: It's quite interesting seeing you take up a role in TROJ(The Return of Jennifer). What's your experience like on the set and in general terms?
HP: It was challenging but fun at the same time. Aunty Funke is a no-nonsense person. She likes to get things done very quickly and if you’re working with her, better hop along or you’ll get dropped. It was a good exposure for me as I had the opportunity to put what I had learnt in school to practice. I had fun on set though the process of taking scenes over and over again was challenging but fun. It was my first major role and I learnt a lot. I really enjoyed it.

RWN: What other things do you do apart from comedy?
HP: Singing, yes I’m cooking something in the studio – some singles are already on air. I’m also acting as you already know. I have been working with my very great and wonderful aunty – Uche Jombo, she’s simply fantastic. I made a cameo appearance in her blockbuster movie, “Damage” and I’m already working with her on another project. I’ll soon appear in some other movies too. I’m also into event planning and management, among other things.

RWN: How was growing up like for you?
HP: It was tough (laughs) but today when I look back, I have every cause to thank God for the kind of upbringing I had. Like I said earlier, I was raised largely by two disciplinarians. I learnt things the way most kids didn’t – through sign language. I quickly understood signs through a cough, a sneeze, clearing of the throat, etc. I had fun though, with my frequent escapades, going through the back door to play with neighbors. Whenever I get caught though, it was never funny.

RWN: Who are your mentors and role models?
HP: Oprah Winfrey is a woman I admire a lot. I think she’s strong and resilient. I also admire Bill Cosby for his comic and acting skills. I have many role models on the homefront, they are too numerous to mention.

RWN: What are the principles/values you operate with?
HP: I try to put God first in everything I do. I believe that without Him, I am nothing. Also, I like to be free. I am not unusually attached to anything, so I let go of things easily. I avoid the attachment people have to a lot of material things. Also, I avoid bitterness and resentment – not good for ones health. Lastly, I always just want to be myself. It matters a lot to me.

RWN: Everybody has one story or the other to tell on his or her journey to stardom. Can you share with us some of the past mistakes you have made and what impact they made on your life?
HP: My own story in itself is one of nothingness to something. Like I said, I’m still in a process; God is still shaping and molding me. However, I met people when I just set out on my journey that never really recognized my worth. You know our society can be funny. People generally tend to pay respect to something grand, big and elegant. I was none of that. I was just a small lady having fun being myself. But some people I met back then would meet me with a stare which says “who are you and where are you coming from”? Like I said earlier, I am naturally optimistic. I waived the rejection and harsh criticism and just trudged on. I always tell myself that I’m “un-putdown-able” (laughs). This experience, though not a mistake, has shaped my views on life. I learnt since then that anyone can be what he or she wants to be, never mind the criticism.

RWN: Generally speaking, what is your perception of the comedy industry in Nigeria?
HP: It’s fine, but it’s also growing. It’s an assortment of various talents. I believe we can stand shoulder to shoulder with foreign comedians. The industry has grown from nothing to something. Years back, people regarded comedy as a vocation for those with no ambition or aspiration in life. Comedians then were seen as mere clowns and nothing more. Now, the story is different. Comedians have evolved from being mere clowns to being corporate brands, sellable to the world.

RWN: Kindly allow the youths to know how you meet your husband and the role has he been playing in your career?
HP: We met in a recording studio. He loves music a lot. He came on a routine visit to see friends and he was even toying with the idea of recording a song he wrote. He had been there before we met and listened to a chorus I did. When he heard that I wasn’t a toddler as the voice depicted, he got curious and kept asking the studio engineers for the next time I would be available in the studio. We later met and became friends. He just used to laugh at me due to my childish pranks and with the passage of time, the idea of courting and getting married set in. Like I told him then, when we were friends, he was “Brother Femi” but when he proposed to me, I warned him, saying “I would start calling you Femi o”. He just laughed and said “And so”? He has since become “Femi” (laughs).

RWN: Considering your busy schedule, how do you balance it with the home front and how involved is hubby?
HP: I have been applying God’s wisdom to everything. I cannot take credit for anything as I just allow Him to rule my home. My husband told me from the moment we got married that he knows he’s not marrying an ‘everyday’ lady and as such, he’s ready to cooperate towards making my career work. He allows and even encourages me at times to go for my shows.
Also, my friends say I’m a disciplinarian, maybe even strict (laughs). So, most times I carefully plan out my schedules for each day. I work with a To-Do List and try to stick to it. Even though this may not work 100% perfectly, it helps me make out time for the family. My husband, at times, doesn’t have the time that I have. Other times, he’s available and I’m not, due to constant travels, events, and what-not. We adjust our itineraries to suit the demands of each circumstance. We also keep trustworthy people around us to help out at home whenever necessary.

RWN: What's your relationship with your kid like? Is there any other thing you do with him while playing different from what you do on stage?
 HP: Very cordial. He’s a simple, happy-go-lucky kid and he seems to understand his mother well (laughs). I read the Bible and children’s story books to his hearing, play, dance and sing with him.

RWN: Any new thing coming up for your fans this year?
HP: I’m putting up a show at the MUSON Center, very soon. The adverts would soon go on air. Also, I’m working on an album that I’m sure would thrill my fans. For now, some singles are already on the airwaves as earlier mentioned. Also, I’m featuring in some other movie projects – people would get to see them as they unfold. I believe other great things would happen this year and I’m just getting ready for them myself.

RWN: A piece of advice for the youths please.
HP: I urge the youths, of whom I’m a part to be God-fearing in all they do – it’s all that matters as it will eventually influence all our actions and decisions. It’s also the beginning of wisdom. In addition, we should not give up on our hopes, dreams, and aspirations. People tend to get discouraged by adverse situations in the country and everywhere. We should look up to God rather, the future is bright!



                                                                                                          (c)2012 rwnomoreloss

No comments: