Wednesday 7 December 2011

"I Lost favour with friends and became broke after I separated from Infinity" - Kenny K'ore

                                                          Eledumare - Kenny K'ore


Kenny K’ore, a former member of the multiple award winning gospel group, Infinity, is a gifted and versatile songwriter, a man of great passion who loves God, a unique gospel minister, and a musician with a rare and unique kind of creativity and artistry. He continues to establish himself as one of Nigeria’s leading and brightest prospects for Gospel music. Whilst “Kenny Kore” is his stage name, Olumide Kehinde Akinbode is a dynamic music minister, a versatile singer with the primary goal of pleasing God on and off the stage.
Kenny K'ore
He is currently exploring wider creative possibilities as a solo artiste, Kenny believes in bridging the extremities between art and spirit. His affinity strong use of the Yoruba language garnishes his sound. Furthermore, he believes that gospel artistes are strong tools of evangelism and that gospel music should not be in collaboration with anything that is odd to the message of Christ.

Youths, please take some time off to enjoy this piece about this dynamic man of God. You've got a lot to learn from him.

RWN: Please, let us meet you.
K'ore: I am Kenny K'ore. Kenny from the name Kehinde, and K'ore from the Yoruba word, ‘Ku orire’, meaning congratulations. I believe there is something in a name, and that the names we bear are prophetic over our lives. Hence, Kenny Congratulations, a prophetic declaration, which anyone who consciously or unconsciously calls my name affirms over my life, celebrating with me for what God has done, is doing, and will yet do over my destiny. 
My real names are Kehinde Olumide Akinbode. I have been what folks have called a gifted and versatile singer / songwriter. With songs like Infinity's Olorioko, Aye Ole, Only praise e.t.c to my credit. A world acclaimed best gospel album in my debut effort called Eledumare, which was reloaded, and the final of the series, Eledumare classics that has both humbled and delighted me, seeing how God can take a boy from the backside of the wilderness and make him a man of valour. He has only just begun with me. I do think of myself as a musician who has a rare and unique kind of creativity and artistry that is why I have retained the motto that brought me to international recognition, “bridging the extremities between art and spirit.”


RWN: “Bridging the extremities between art and spirit? Could you please explain what you mean?
K’ore:
 For example, church institutions tend to use what is available, and most times what is available is not the best. We should not despise the days of little beginnings but at every level, we can also shoot for excellence even with what is available. As a believer, I pursue an excellent spirit through a continuous life of obedience to God and as an artiste, I push to perfect my skills such that excellent skills meet with an excellent spirit, when that happen, God happens.

RWN: From afar, you come off like someone with very strong moral standing, which is a bit alien to people in your category. What gave rise to this? Could it be family upbringing, self-discipline, focus or an encounter with God?
K’ore: 
I gave my life to Christ in the early 90's. My educational background does little credence to who and or what I am today, then again maybe it does. I am a product not of any institution or denomination. The body of Christ is one. I have been yielding myself to a daily practical walk with God, practicing His presence. It is not “beans” to say the least. However, my God is not just able to deliver from Egypt. He is also able to preserve in the wilderness and sustain until His own gets to the Promised Land.

RWN: Going through the lyrics of your songs, they are weighty with messages being passed across in a unique form. Where and how do you get your inspiration?
K’ore: 
Inspiration is in the ether. It is everywhere around us. In our waking moments and when we lay our heads to sleep. Inspiration is there when we are most happy or sad. At the height of our achievements or when we commence our pursuit. I am mostly inspired by our daily attempt at practicing our faith in a world that is hell bent on secularism and everything antithesis to the scriptures. Friends and enemies alike inspire me. Good and bad times alike. I am inspired first and last by God.

RWN: If you did you not tow the music path, which career path would you have towed?
K’ore:
 If I were not a musician, I would be a doctor or a pilot.

RWN: How did you come about gospel singing and what roles did your parents play?
K’ore:
 I was born into a family where music is a passion so it just follows that I would pick it up. My parents’ role in my choice of music as a career happened by the default of them being avid music lovers. Secondly, by their effort of not discouraging me. My dad bought me my first piano.



RWN: So many speculations about your leaving your former group, Infinity. If you do not mind, can you share with us the main reason for backing out? 
K’ore:
I left Infinity because I was led to. I did not leave willingly but I cannot be more grateful that even though my exit from the band was not cheerful, God accepted it as obedience anyway.

RWN: Who exactly led you to leave?
K’ore: God. He owns me by default of Him being my creator and I have willingly given my life to Him through His son, and my big Brother, Jesus Christ. I do not write as someone who has apprehended, I write as someone who knows that his right standing before God is a gift. I qualify because Jesus paid the price. “I Holy Pass because of His grace and Mercy.”

RWN: What were the challenges you faced after backing out?
K’ore: Some of the immediate challenges after leaving the group were loosing favour with friends who sincerely couldn't understand, becoming broke, as Infinity was my only means of livelihood and missing the brotherhood.

RWN: Who are your mentors and role models?
K’ore: Daddy Panam Percy Paul and Don Moen are gospel ministers whose personalities have really inspired me over the years. When you are looking for authentic worshipper, you would not need to look further than Kenny K'ore.

RWN: Please tell us some of your principles/values in life.
K’ore: My principles and values for life are all set in the Bible. Some of them are;

I believe in respect for all men
I believe death is only a door that opens to eternity in either Heaven or Hell.
I believe faith is a defence.
I believe money is not what makes the world go round, it is meeting needs.
I believe in love.

RWN: Do you have any mistakes you have made in the past?
K’ore: I have made several mistakes in my life but there's one I know would specially interest any youth; it is one where I kept up an active sexual relationship with a girl friend because I didn't want to loose her [sex is sweet so I did it for that too], but I lost her eventually. I learnt to watch out for the signs that show there is love or there is no love lost. I learnt not to always be the first to compromise because when she leaves, (in my case, she left) you would not understand what you have become. At that point, only a miracle can help you.

RWN: Seeing that you are a staunch believer in the bible, what is your take on Christians doing “collabo” with secular artistes viz a viz christians, especially choir members from some of our notable and well respected Pentecostal churches going to context at shows like MTN Project Fame where they have got to do quite a number of secular songs?
K’ore: Christians should not do collaborations with secular artistes when such artistes are known to portray lewd values, and principles that lack virtues in their music.
Christianity is not an exclusive way of life, it is inclusive. However, we are the harbinger of light and whenever someone boldly makes representation for the kingdom of darkness promoting the abuse of alcohol, women etc he\she should be put at arms length. Moreover, folks exploiting social mediums or platforms to better their lot in life, I have no objections. If the church institutions can meet our social needs as Christians, we would not need to do it any other way. Having said that many Christians abuse their liberties in Christ, this is very sad, and I am not in support of it at all.

RWN: How do you see gospel artistes putting money forward and setting standard charging rates before they would honour an invitation for a musical ministration?

K’ore: The Bible says a man's gift shall make a way for him and we are all gifted so that we may prosper thereby. However, there is what the scriptures call ‘just weight’ and an ‘unjust weight’. Gospel artistes do no wrong when they ask to be ministered back to in material things having been of spiritual benefit to a church, they do wrong when their expectation is unjust.

RWN: What’s your idea on sex before marriage and an ideal relationship? 
K’ore: Sex before marriage only helps to complicate issues between the courting couple, so it'll get thumbs down from me. Believe me, I have been there! An ideal relationship is one where both the man and the woman share a mutual regard for God, and gives Him first place in each of their hearts. Their humanity may catch up with them every now and then, but they will do just fine putting God first.

RWN: Tell us about your love life. Are you in any relationship? If not, why?
K’ore: Anything about my private life is going have to be kept private because that's why it is called private. Except I am led otherwise, but about my relationship, time to walk the aisle etc the answer would have to be no comment for now.


RWN: 2012 is almost here. What should your fans be expecting from you?
K’ore: It is a year where I would want to release more life changing music and continue on the track that has been set before me. 2012, let it come, not as my will but only let His will be done.

RWN: Could you just talk to the youths please?
K’ore: A young person who is still turned between several career paths should never make a decision when he\she is angry or make a promise when he\she is very happy. It helps to leave the part you are least motivated and follow the road of your greatest passion. If you are talented in a particular field that is what you would probably end up doing. I often stress that we all need money, and we must be careful and not let opportunists use our passions to imprison us. The scriptures say a man’s talent shall make a way for him. I also noted that a portion of the tithes of the Israelites to the Levitican priesthood was given to the musicians among the others, so yes, musicians should hope to make decent living off their music, but money should never ever be the focus. Any person who makes money his or her focus is living under a curse and can never be blessed by God. Such has chosen mammon over Yahweh.



18 comments:

Matthew Wisdom said...

It's great to read about Kenny K'ore. I've always loved his music and the way he sings. God bless you, Kenny K'ore. god bless you, ToyinNomoreloss!

Zenith said...

Toyin thanks for this interview it has great insight and brings to light somethings that are to be useful for our generation

I will like to say that i love the way K,ore put its brand driver “Bridging the extremities between art and spirit.It is high time we believers bring that which is unseen to practical reality in the nations of the earth with every perfection it takes. I mean quality lifestyle, wat i can call finesse lifestyle..

Meanwhile i still don't like the way k'ore disengaged from infinity group reason being that the way infinity was going then it was the only gospel music known to many that carries such a profound message of the kingdom of God without actually mentioning the name God yet people could testify to it that this is spirit powered music. You can go back and listen to the song OLORI OKO again and yu will see clearly the gospel of the kingdom being preached. Look at the passion, the spirit, the knowledge and skills involved. This what we need today in *christiandom* communicating the message of the kingdom to unbelievers by our values of life.
I really hope they continues then but then i found out that people now calls the group for mere entertainment and not for the advancement of the kingdom then i know if care is not taking it may not last. we know the result now.

I will like to stop here now i still have a lot to contribute.

This are just my personal opinion.......

Unknown said...

Zenith, I am happy that "YOU" are the one who didn't like the way K'ore left Infinity group and not that you are confirming to us that it's not the will of God. Your personal opinions are always welcome brother!

Unknown said...

Kenny,I do not have a problem with u breaking out of infinity but making it look like God asked u to destroy a good thing isn't just sinking. Pple leave groups all over the world ,so don't go making pple feel like a holier than thou. The other guys are going to he'll as far as u are concerned. Be watchful brother

Unknown said...

Gospel musicians have different calling. Some artiste prefer to be worship leaders in church,some remain in the four walls of the church,singing n blessing lives in the choir,some go out to the fields to get d word out there. We need people out there doing songs that will minister to the unbelievers not just the believers. Kenny shut ur mouth and remain where u are. Let others do their job. God gives grace. I am yet to see a Christian hit like Kefee's kokoroko talking about Christ love being strong enough to die on Calvary,many gospels artistes like u will judge,however fans like me watching want more songs to hit unbelievers like that. Like Kefee said on an interview and I quote: the harvest is plenty but the laborers are very few,don't judge what u do ot understand. Do ur job and let God be the judge.

Unknown said...

@Unknown 1....please how did he destroy a good thing? Just curious and i want to know.

Olaoluwa Abraham said...

@toyin, I think Unknown1 meant that Kore destroyed the SYNERGY in Infinity. In my opinion, his stay would have yielded tremendous result unlike now... think the idea "bridging art and spirit" would make more sense if he stayed. Now he has said its God's direction.. that's common anyway to even our word ministers.

Unknown said...

But nobody is indispensable. Why should a group crash because someone left? Is K'ore God?

romeo4urlove said...

sometimes in life we are just being faster than what God has for us.in something like this we need Gods guidance favor,and his mercy to always take a bold step ahead of our dreams.i remember way back then that group would have brought us Grammy awards to our country Nigeria...if only they could manage to stick together. going through kenney interview i have not yet seen the reason why he left no very good reason to me.well i will stop from here first

Unknown said...

In my opinion, K'ore hasn't done anything to crash a good thing like the commentator above has stated. I happen to believe that there must be a line drawn between spiritual music and secular music, and by implications, I don't buy the idea of spiritual singers, making collabos with secular artistes. The music might be good, but would it have the spirit in it? Remember the letter killeth, but the spirit maketh alive.
The Psalmist said "How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?", telling us that there is a place to sing the Lord's song. I do believe that a collabo between a spiritual singer and a secular singer is "singing the Lord's song in a strange land" for the same mouth that sings the Lord's praises should not be found in the same place as one that laces his music with lewd lyrics just like the artiste rightly said.

romeo4urlove said...

and why will a so called blessed and favored. group lost their aim and goal just because of 1man left the group that means, they where not even focused as they pretend to be................hmm this is an issue we all need to sit and learn from before concluding our comments....if i may suggest... thanks Mr Toyin

Unknown said...

@Romeo....now you are gradually hitting the nail on the head!

sammy said...

Reading this interview, i can conclude that this guy KORE knows exactly what he is saying and moreso his exit from the group INFINITY ...all i can say is if a man is led to do a thing by GOD ... Who are we to question him or God? So let us see what he has achieved after leaving the group.

Collabo with wordly singers is something i do not agree to and that is why as a gospel deejay in the uk i frown at some so called gospel music ... God help us all.
As per the issue of relationship , it is always good to hear from people that has been there and done it , however i am not saying you have to be there. I wish this young man many more spiritual insights to writing music from the throne room of Grace ... Toyin this is a good interview ..many more of this from your stable

tonaiwu said...

Nice interview, great responses....learnt his lessons, and he's moving on. I wish him all the best.
As for Infinity, they could come back if the guys there know what they want to do....they have the name already!
Not sure if K'ore was the only creative genius they had, if other members are that creative, then they should tap from the Source, and get going. The whole creation is waiting for our manifestation as children of God!

Zenith said...

There is no way anybody could tell me that collaborating with unbelievers to sing a song of the MOST HIGH is approved of God. The record in Gods word make this plain to us but because we have lost the purpose of Christianity thats why we think we can collabo. The bible say and i quote for the law shall go forth of Zion, and the word of the LORD
from Jerusalem Isa 4:2...and not the other way round.

There is a place for skill and all that but that could not be traded for the High calling of God.
Babylon will continue to demand that we sing the lord song in a strange land but our response should always be *how shall we sing the LORD'S song in a strange land* bcos it is not our environment. Not just music but actually our values. Psalm 137:4

Give not that which is holy to dogs.. Mat 7:6

Our values should not be tampered with even at the highest level of our exposure(rank,lifestyle etc) remember when you sit to eat with a ruler consider that which is set before you Prov 23 :1

Unknown said...

I believe in loyalty to God. In these last days we should device means to reach out to people and not make ourselves judges in place of God. I do a 9-5 job,and still spread the word. So I'll advice we do our jobs and let others do theirs. If Kirk Franklin decides to feat.R.Kelly and Beyonce,or even lady gaga so be it. As long as they praise and exalt God on the song,I know God will not strike dem. But some of u here would. Eventho u know d sins u commit wen no 1 is watching. Let pepple do their job. Let God do His job which is Juging.

Unknown said...

Unknown, but I don't think anybody has judged anyone here. What has happened is just mere share of opinions.

*KRISES* said...

Toyin, I must commend you for such a brilliant and a learning point forum such as this. Kenny, that you left your 'comfort zone' to obey the calof GOD is quite inspiring and challenging. We should understand that GOD is no respecter of anybody and I make bold to add position as well. This is both a giant and bold step Kenny Congratulation had to take and sure I did learn from the open heart of this young man. Thanks Kenny and great job, Toyin!