Friday 10 February 2012

"The Church Has A Lot More To Do On The Issue Of Discussing Sex Freely" - Obiora Obiwon






The Rebirth by Obiora Nwokolobia-Agu a.k.a. Obiora Obiwon 

Obiora, an R’n’B crooner turned urban gospel artiste has witnessed enough transitions to keep the Nigerian urban music scene guessing and his followers constantly on their feet. Nevertheless, the successes of the albums “Overture” which spun the hit ballad “Onyinye” and “The Rebirth” equally heavily driven by the hit wedding anthem “Obi Mu O”, positioned him as a force not to be ignored in Nigerian popular music and beyond. 

After a brief stint with award winning Hip-Hop group Thorobreds, Obiwon made his solo debut in 2006 with Overture while working nine-to-five in a commercial bank. Shortly after the release of the album, Obiwon resigned the bank job to completely focus on his burning musical passion. Overture gained instant critical acclaim and some measure of commercial success, with the awards following in 2007 at the “Hip-Hop World Awards” and “Nigerian Music Awards” for vocal performance. 

In 2008, Obiwon made several references to a deep spiritual experience and new focus on gospel themes while starting work on a much-anticipated sophomore, The Rebirth. The well-accepted album mostly displayed his new sound and faith journey, introducing him to a new urban gospel audience. 

More to be heard from Obiwon on this down-to-earth detailed interview. Please grab your seat and enjoy.



RWN: Please, can we meet you properly?
OBIWON: I am Obiora Nwokolobia-Agu and also known as Obiora Obiwon. I am the third child and second male in a family of four children. My father is a retired broadcaster and my mother is a federal civil servant. Most of my childhood was on the streets of Enugu city. I graduated from the University of Nigeria Nsukka in 2001 and migrated to Lagos in 2002. I am 34 years old.

RWN: You are into Gospel/Hip-Hop/R & B. How did it all start for you and what role did your background play in it?
OBIWON: I launched out as a solo Hip-hop/R & B act in 2005. Before this, I had honed my skills with local groups and bands in Enugu city and had a stint with hip-hop group Thorobreds here in Lagos. Somewhere along the path of my solo career and some deep experiences later, I got born-again and later answered to a call to dedicate the music I was given to the message of Christ. My switch in musical lanes from secular to gospel came in 2008 and in 2009, my sophomore album “The Rebirth” reflected this. My father, before becoming a broadcaster was a folk music composer and arranger; I unconsciously inherited musical genes from him. It was difficult initially for him to back me in 2006 when I made a decision to leave a 9-to-5 job for a full time career in music. Right now, my whole family is supportive of my path in music ministry. I will also say the Christian upbringing from home really helped direct me to finally be on this path, in view of the times when I found myself confronted with certain lifestyles within the entertainment industry.

RWN: Would you have gone into the same genre of music and music as a career if the hands of the clock could be turned back for you?
OBIWON: Everything I experienced going into music and the entertainment industry eventually summed up to bring me to this current path. The only eventual regret would have been not giving in to the call to do what I am doing now, which is to musically express the real good life, which can only be found in Christ.

RWN: What other things do you do apart from music?
OBIWON: The music ministry consumes all my time. Other activities are within church and in music production, which are still intertwined within the same purpose.

RWN: How was growing up like for you?
OBIWON: I loved to play a lot, I watched many cartoons, which I still love to do. My family was middle class so I experienced both good and bad times with the impact of the nation’s economy. My parents were strict disciplinarians and taught us from time that prudence, hard work, patience and humility were the ways of wisdom.

RWN: Can you tell us about some of the awards you have received?
OBIWON: My two music industry awards both came in 2007 through the Hip-hop World Awards and the Nigerian Music Awards. I am also grateful for other nominations and accolades I received through other sources.

RWN: Watching some of your video clips and reading some of your comments on facebook, you come off strong like someone with a very strong moral standing. What gave rise to this? Could it have been family upbringing, self-discipline, focus or a particular encounter with God?
OBIWON: Well now, it is not morals per say, even though it might have started as “morals” before I was saved. “Morals” without the grace that comes from being intimate with Christ does not amount to much and is not sustainable. My encounter with God changed me completely and I still try to encounter Him daily to grow more this way.


RWN: Where, how and when do you get inspiration to write and compose your songs?
OBIWON: It all flows from the Creator, the owner of all creativity. It can come anytime and through various sources and channels like impressions, experiences, dreams and so on.

RWN: Tell us about some of the challenges you face in your career.
OBIWON: At times, I do not get to fully interpret my ideas on songs and videos the way I initially conceived them due to limitations within the environment. Making good quality music and promoting it effectively is capital intensive and quite challenging for an independent music label; but there is hope that independents grow to be major.

RWN: You mentioned about limitations to interpreting fully your initially conceived ideas. Please tell us about these limitations.
OBIWON: For Instance, I might write a song and imagine myself levitating towards the sky in the video, or I might imagine a cruise ship sinking in the midst of the sea as part of the video story... (Smiles). For obvious reasons I might not be able to execute these ideas immediately but some day I believe I'll be able to gather the human and material resources needed to make such ideas come alive. Someday, I want to be able to worship with a 70-piece orchestra playing my sound and style the way I want it. I will not stop dreaming though.

RWN: Who are your mentors and role models?
OBIWON: My mentors are E. A. Adeboye, T. D. Jakes and Joyce Meyer. Although, they are not musicians but they do live lives that inspire me greatly. I grew up listening to and imitating Michael Jackson, R. Kelly and Boyz II Men. However, I currently play a lot of Deitrick Haddon and Lecrae. Both are Christian Hip-hop/R’n’B artistes as well as Michael W. Smith and Donnie McClurkin.

RWN: What are the principles/values you operate with?
OBIWON: Treat everybody you see, as Christ would treat them; live every day as if it is your last; spend quality time with God daily.

RWN: Okay. Everybody has one story or the other to tell on his or her journey to stardom. Can you share with us some of the past mistakes you have made and what impact they have made on your life?
OBIWON: It is detrimental to faith to still dwell on mistakes and remember them when you are truly living and growing in the new birth. My past mistakes could be summed up as all the ways in which I tried to live life on my own terms without trying to find my Maker and the terms and plans for which He made me.

RWN: It will be highly appreciated if you can share with us in practical terms some of these mistakes.
OBIWON: In my university days, I thought I was really into women, partying, clubbing and the likes. When I got into the entertainment industry, I saw and entered these things at a completely new level and I did not have to struggle to have them. At a point, I started pondering where such a lifestyle would lead to eventually at the end of the day. I am grateful to God for revealing Himself to me as I started searching for the truth, saving me from the wrong choices and making me a whole new creation before such a lifestyle could consume me eventually and deny me of His greater plans. I believe it is a mistake for young people not to value sex the way the Creator of the universe made it to be, a special gift to be given to only one person, before God, for the rest of your life. It is also a shame that most of the secular media and entertainment products make it out like there are no consequences whatsoever choosing to lead a life of carefree and careless choices. The whole universe is based on the law of cause and effect so every "cause" must have an "effect". Like a friend of mine recently said, "Just because you're not paying now, doesn't mean there no future price to be paid later". However until the Spirit of conviction opens one's eyes to see, one may never know that the real sweet life, joy, peace, love, security and fun is in living intimately with God through Christ, within His best choices. I am simply grateful to see and know the Truth within my lifetime.

RWN: Seeing that you are a staunch believer in the Bible, what is your take on Christians doing collabo with secular artistes and Christians, especially choir members from some of our notable and well-respected Pentecostal churches going to contest at shows like MTN Project Fame?
OBIWON: I cannot really judge others on this because I do not know the true intention of their hearts and the true purpose for their decisions. I can only speak for myself how I would handle these. Since you have referenced the Bible, the scripture that easily comes to mind is that everything is permissible but not everything is beneficial. Indeed God can use any of the aforementioned avenues to reach out to unbelievers and the lost or to fulfill Kingdom purposes. However, the crucial question is whether the persons involved went into them as instructed by God or by themselves to achieve fame, riches and other purposes. We really do not have to bother ourselves too much on the answers to that because time makes all intents, purposes and results eventually known.

RWN: How about gospel artistes putting money forward and setting standard charging rates before they can honour any musical ministration?
OBIWON: Again, I would like to say I cannot judge anyone on this; I can only talk of my understanding of it. From 1st Corinthians chapter 9, I understand that the minister is entitled to be taken care of by the church he ministers to. However, if a minister only ministers to churches who can afford his particular “rate”, who then ministers to the poor and those who cannot afford it? I do not think it is possible that God will ask His minister to only minister to those who can afford his compensation “rate”. Christ asserts in Matthew 10:8 that freely have we received the gospel and freely should we give. Will some churches take advantage of this? Yes, they will but it is not in the true Christian’s place to fight for his “right”, as Christ instructs in Matthew 5:38-40, which will be difficult in the flesh, if one does not walk in the Spirit. We just have to do our best in our call with all sincerity of purpose and let God fight for us and lift us as He has promised. Furthermore I think gospel ministers can adopt St. Paul’s model, who not only gave up his rights most times so that he could minister freely, but made sure he worked with his hands as a tentmaker to support himself, thereby freeing himself of always expecting the church to take care of him. If we apply this today, we find that God can reveal to us many other legitimate income avenues and businesses, even within music, production, the corporate world etc, with which we can use to sustain ourselves and make a good living. If this is done, our attention on what the churches can give to ministers will reduce even though there are some churches that have the capacity and understanding to bless ministers way beyond their expectations. In summary, I will like to urge all to prioritize the work and spread of the Kingdom even above one’s personal needs and hardships and God will eventually recompense with plenty benefits as promised in Matthew 6:33. Christianity is all about sacrifice by faith for the hope of a higher reward, both in this life and in the life to come.

RWN: Generally speaking, what is your perception of gospel singing in Nigeria?
OBIWON: The gospel music scene was doing so well few years ago, way before I got into it. In fact, gospel music appreciation seems to have taken a particular nose-dive in the past couple of years, and it is not like the number of churches and Christians are not increasing. The secular music industry has been doing very well so it begets the question of what type of music the whole lot of Christians in churches every Sunday and in prayer congresses are buying and listening to. I am asking God to do something new with gospel music in Nigeria especially for the sake of our musically inclined Christian youths. They are currently in the trend of starting as gospel ministers but ending up as secular musicians. I understand that not everyone is called to minister in music for God, but many people of the faith have ended up singing songs that are contrary to the faith they profess. I believe part of the reason is that they do not see much Christian music mentors or role models or much need to keep on the path of the gospel or Christian faith-based music. The potential for a massive gospel music industry in Nigeria is enormous. We the current crop of gospel ministers need to come together in the power of agreement, leaving any other issue behind for the progress of the music of the good news. Individualism will hardly progress the industry. I believe something new, fresh and exciting will happen to Nigerian gospel music.

RWN: You mentioned something key about gospel music nose-diving. Don't you think the church has a lot to deal with or a lot to answer In this regard?
 OBIWON: Who is the Church? It is you and I brother. We are the Church. It is easy to blame church leaders but who are the artistes that most of our congregations patronize their songs during their events and everyday life? What is the quality of music that the gospel artistes make? Among those making great music why haven’t rich members of the church thought of sponsoring and promoting them? Why haven’t they thought of sending them out to make better quality videos that can even beat videos made in the secular industry in terms of creativity and excellence? Why is there usually a "situation" with the pastor and the band or choir members in most churches? Where is the unity of purpose even among serious Christians who have identified the need to move gospel music forward or are we just content doing "our own thing"? It is understood that ministers on the pulpit really have to do much more to assist ministers in music to also reach out and touch the world, but I personally would not like us to think that it is at their table that the bulk stops. We all have to, in our own little ways, identify, celebrate and unite for the cause of music that honors God. However, I must tell you that now there are people who have taken it upon themselves to do whatever they can for the progress of gospel music, no matter the challenges they encounter, even among church folk. I also believe concerted, directed and specific agreement prayers will pull down strongholds and change many things. God will help us all.

RWN: You got married few months ago. It became so interesting to understand that you had to wait for years before you could get married to the love of your life even after proposal. Please tell the youths about the journey.
OBIWON: It is a long story so I will try to be brief. I met Nkechi at a point when I had seriously started searching for God and determined not to live the kind of lifestyle I was drawn to in the music industry. This was in 2007. I thank God because he knew I was searching for Him and gave me somebody to encourage me on that path with the much she had grown in the faith. At that point, I also realized that if I believed true love was possible as made by God who is love Himself, I would have to follow His very principles on love and marriage to the very end in order to obtain its blessings. We started praying for the grace to do this. Prayers do wonders in a love relationship and you can only pray effectively together if you are willing to obey God’s laws on love and marriage. As I got into the waiting period, God changed me completely, made it possible for me to overcome habits I was struggling with and gave us grace to hold on and wait on sex until the very end.


RWN: What sort of lifestyle were you drawn to in the music industry?
 OBIWON: I believe I have mostly covered this while speaking on "mistakes". This generally refers to a carefree or careless life of bad choices that contradict God's principles. The inside life of music and fame comes with many "perks" and it does not matter if you are gospel or secular. Music and fame are very spiritual and you find that many people are drawn to you for various reasons.  It takes a deep relationship with God to keep focus and not derail.  I always tell upcoming musicians that the three great vices they must watch and always pray against are lust, greed and pride. The higher you go, the hotter it becomes.  It is important in one's daily life not to toy even for a second with anything that would lead down these paths and that will include screening where you go, what you say and listen to and what you look at in all media and especially nowadays, social media. This may sound difficult in the flesh but it is possible living life in the Spirit and it is God that gives grace. As a "performer", when you perform, it's all about you and the people are drawn to what you are doing, how it makes them feel and they scream at you or for you. However when you become a "minister", it's about channeling the people's experience and emotions towards adoring and celebrating God, praising Him for what they see in you or see you do, while you just be the vessel. I believe a "performance" or a "ministration" mindset can help determine how much a gospel artiste can keep focus and handle music industry vices, especially pride. 

RWN: What is your idea of sex before marriage? 
OBIWON: My idea on sex before marriage is the same as God instructs. Not only is marriage the only legitimate institution for sexual relations, God says the marriage bed itself has to be undefiled, which precludes the idea of “trying” because you are about to or almost married. There are always blessings for complete obedience. In addition, there is grace available for those who have missed their way and desire to change and return to the right path. I am a living testimony because I only imbibed sexual purity when I truly found the new life in Christ. Unfortunately, the world today glorifies casual sex and I think the church has a lot more to do on the issue of discussing sex freely, especially with the younger ones. If we do not get to speak to our people first on this matter, the world will reach out to them in many ways. I believe the starting point for sexual purity is to believe that it is possible through faith and by the grace of God and to totally refute the lie of the enemy, which says it is not possible. In Nigeria we express this colloquially as “you no fit hold body” (i.e. it is impossible to be chaste), which is opposite to the truth of God’s word of grace through faith in Christ Jesus.

RWN: You only imbibed sexual purity when you truly found the new life in Christ means that you were bad before?
OBIWON: I thought that was clear enough. I was saying that I am a living testimony to the fact that someone who used to lead a heavily promiscuous life can be touched by God to become celibate and wait on sex. I tried so hard in the flesh before I submitted completely to Christ to stop sexual immorality but it was just a vicious cycle. I was very sexually active before I gave my life to Christ. Initially after I gave my life, it was still a battle to be sexually pure. After I stopped fornication, I battled with masturbation. One day I cried out to the Lord and asked him to take away the load with His mighty power with which he saved and called me. I started studying materials on how to walk in sexually purity. I found in Romans that if I become constantly spiritually minded, I would not be giving in to the flesh and gradually the Lord gave me grace to walk sexually pure until marriage. I also thank God for dealing with me first so that I would not carry such a burden into my courtship and marriage. I am writing these in detail for anyone reading and struggling with sexual sin. You do not have to struggle with what Christ has given you victory over. You have to first believe and confess that it is indeed possible in these days and times to live sexually pure, and even wait for years until you marry, all through the grace of God. You just have to really give in totally to the Holy Spirit, cry out for change and grace, and begin to live and enjoy life in the Spirit, putting away all carnality, lust inducing materials, habits and behaviours in your daily life. It is a daily walk but grace is available!

RWN: 2012 is here. What should your fans be expecting from you?


OBIWON: My third album is entitled T.R2012. It is the sequel to 2009’s The Rebirth. We released three singles from the album late last year. 

By God’s grace, the videos to the singles should be out in the next few months. Meanwhile, my fans can check the 3 links below to download the three singles:



                                                 3. http://soundcloud.com/obiora/f-a-t-h-e-r-part-2


I also urge my people to hook up to my Facebook page and Twitter account (Obiora Obiwon) to download the new singles and  keep up with the series of events that will lead up to the album release later in the year.


RWN: A word for the youths
OBIWON: Wisdom is learning from those who have passed through stages of life before you, so you can avoid their mistakes. It is so much fun and peace of mind serving God with your youthful days and talents. God’s plans and thoughts for you are for good and not for evil therefore make sure you remember your Creator in the days of your youth! God’s blessings.

                                                                                                                                                   (C)2012







4 comments:

benjamin Oddiah said...

Very interesting and inspiring indeed..This grace which you have found at the right time, may it locate me and all families and friends to find a purpose filled life..It really means " A life with Christ is a life filled with abundance blessings and a life without Christ is a life in shambles"...

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Obiwon, this is a great one coming from you. It's nice to have people like you in the entertainment industry so that we can still retain a lot of youths in the church.

Aderinsola said...

Obiwon, please how do we make sure we retain more gospel singers in the entertainment industry to keep challenging the youths just like you are doing?

Niyi said...

May God almighty continue to strengthen you Obiwon. More greaseto your elbows.