Friday 22 June 2018

Meet Alex Adapoyi of Lekki Wives


Alex Adapoyi, 42 years, starred as Prince in the movie, Lekki wives and swept me off my feet with the professionalism, finesse and the natural feel he brought into his role. This made me hit the internet to search for him for a chat, which he effortlessly obliged. Please, enjoy this piece as the mystery behind the dangerous Prince of Lekki wives is unraveled.



Toyin: In Lekki wives, you starred as Prince, a middle-aged, rich drug baron with weird sexual cravings. Any difference between Prince and Alex?

Alex: A lot of difference. Prince is just the movie character but that's not who Alex is. I necessarily don’t act out who I am really. An actor should be able to bring out any character the producer wants him to portray. Alex is humble, fears God and loves playing musical instrument.

Toyin: Have you got any formal training in acting?
Alex: No, but as a child, I was always trying to act different characters I came across in movies.
Toyin: How was your growing up like?
Alex: I wasn't an outgoing kid but surrounded with family members who love watching cartoons. We were always in front of the television, never missing a programme and we love animals. So life was more of an indoor thing, though had occasional football times with the community kids.
Toyin: And your greatest moment or event while growing up?
Alex: I will say my greatest moment in life was when I married my wife. Marrying her changed my whole life and made me a better man.
Toyin: Earlier, you mentioned musical instruments. Is that how you relax?
Alex: I play piano and bass guitar whenever I want to relax. Besides, my greatest ideas have come to me during these periods of relaxation.
Toyin: The impression about your industry is that it's the survival of the fittest. How easy was it for you to get to this point?
Alex:  Acting is a gift to some people while others have to study to acquire but I am lucky to have the gift and God has made it easier for me to get any role.
Toyin: In your opinion, can celebrities avoid scandals?
Alex: Yes, it is possible for celebrities to avoid scandals, depending on how mature they are. One of the ways is to avoid unnecessary publicity. I also keep away from ladies whose sole aim is to get me into bed. I don’t go out after 6pm when I get back from work except maybe when I am with the guys. If I must be with people, I gather a few friends either in my house or at a restaurant and have fun. However, most of these so called scandals are actually publicity stunts on the part of the celebrities. I heard Denzel Washington asks for his pastor's permission before taking on certain roles, now, that's a guy you will never hear any negative stuff about and he still gets the best roles in big movies!
Toyin: Looking at the way some romantic scenes are played, one wonders if it's really a movie. How do you deliver your romantic scenes with no distractions thereafter?
Alex: Most times, my wife is present at my shootings so I really don't have any problem there, but just to help the young ones out there, you are trying to pass a message across and that's why you are an actor. You are being paid to pass that message across as convincingly as is humanly possible so that should be your focus. There are bound to be side effects if you don't have a mature mind. There's no how you will kiss someone intimately and afterwards feel no connection, movie or no movie and that's why most times you see actors dating each other after a movie but if you know what you are after, that won't happen.
Toyin: Just like some doctors may decline abortion for some reasons, is there any script Alex would decline for any reason?
Alex: Yes, I can't be nude in any movie, kiss a dude or lady in an intimate way not sanctioned by my wife.
Toyin: I believe this has to do about your marriage. Your wife approves your script?
Alex: Yes, she looks into scripts with me, we discuss and we agree which is another way I demonstrate my respect for her.
Toyin: Your wife must be amazing! How did you meet her?
Alex: We grew up in the same community and our families knew one another. She was the only girl who declined my proposal. I asked her out for 12 years before she agreed because I wouldn't take no for an answer.
Toyin: 12 solid years? Tell me what you saw in her. 
Alex: Just her humility.


(C)ToyinIdowu

No comments: